When I tried to open ‘Gnumeric’ spreadsheet program I used to get error msg as ‘An error occured while loading or saving configuration information for gnumeric. Some of your configuration settings may not work properly.’
Upon clicking the ‘Details’ button I got detailed messages as:
Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://www.gnome.org/projects/gconf/ for information. (Details – 1: IOR file ‘/tmp/gconfd-svzard/lock/ior’ not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied 2: IOR file ‘/tmp/gconfd-svzard/lock/ior’ not opened successfully, no gconfd located: Permission denied)
This msg repeated several times.
On googling I came across a page for mysql bugs with similar looking error. The person who reported bug also had posted a suggestion that the file was searching gconfd in the tmp folder so he linked the file to his home directory’ gconfd.
Taking the clue I just did ls -la in my /tmp and found that the owner for gconfd-svzard was 500. 500 is default for users in Fedora/Redhat but I had edited it to 1000. So I changed the owner to svzard and the problem got rectified. I still dont understand the details of it. Just a superficial problem-solving. Nevertheless it was a good experience.